Sloes are good this year – just managed to pick 9lbs in less than half an hour.
Here’s a recipe for sloe wine with honey:
- 3lb sloes;
- 3.5lb honey;
- 1 gallon of water;
- red wine yeast;
- yeast nutrient.
- Pick through the sloes and remove stalks, leaves etc;
- Wash the fruit;
- Boil the water;
- Pour boiling water on the fruit then mash with stainless steel masher;
- Cover and leave for 5 days stirring daily;
- Strain off the fruit and pour the liquor over the honey, stir till dissolved;
- Add the yeast and nutrient;
- Cover again and leave for a week while ferment dies down a bit;
- Pour into demijohn, fit airlock and leave till ferment is finished;
- Siphon off the lees and leave for a year;
- Pour it down the lavatory.
Update 30.1.14 – this wine is now fermented out, it is crystal clear rich crimson in colour and very drinkable – if a little sweet.
Copyright © Beespoke.info, 2014. All Rights Reserved.